Use a Sphero BB-8 Droid with your children by exploring our collection of cross-curricular teaching ideas and classroom activities!
If you have any suggestions of your own, please let us know in the comments at the bottom of the page.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Use the BB-8 as a character in your own fiction writing.
- Write a story from the point of view of the droid.
- Create a poster to advertise the droid to others.
- Write a set of instructions (or a ‘How to…’ guide) to teach others how to use the robot.
- Use the BB-8 to review compass directions by making it move north, south, east and west.
- Create a large co-ordinates grid on the floor and move the BB-8 to specific locations on the grid, as directed by the teacher.
- Carry out some ‘races’ and record how long it takes BB-8 to travel a certain distance. Use the results for data handling / statistics activities.
- Discuss how the BB-8’s ‘head’ stays attached to the base. This could be used as the starting point for work on magnetism.
- Use the BB-8 for control technology activities. Can you guide it safely from one location to another? Could you use it to knock over some skittles in different locations around the classroom?
- Discuss how the BB8 works:
- What features does it have?
- How does it move?
- What functions does the app perform?
- How does the app communicate with the droid?
- Plan and record a video (or audio) advert to persuade others to buy a BB-8.
- Explore the How does BB-8 work? site and use this as the starting point for other discussions about robots and their construction.
- Discuss how robots help us today and how they may improve in the future.
- Design and create a maze that the BB-8 can travel around. This could be created using building blocks, Lego bricks or other construction materials.
- Create an ‘assault course’ for the BB-8 to explore!
- Design a shelter to protect the droid from the elements on other planets.
- Think about how the BB-8 could be improved and design a new version (i.e. a BB-9). What additional features could it have?
- Create a life-size model of a BB-8 droid.
Do you have any other ideas? Leave a comment to share your thoughts…