A fisherman in a storm has a strange encounter…
Watch this video with your children, and then try some of our teaching and activity ideas below.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Write your own story with the title ‘Whoosh’.
- Think of some narration for this story.
- Describe the setting of this animation.
- Describe the character. Who is he? What is he doing?
- Pause the video at different points (e.g. 0:08, 0:18, 0:25, 0:45 and 1:02) and write a paragraph to describe what is happening.
- Write a prequel to this story. Where has the man been? Where is he going?
- Write the next part of the story. What happens to the man and his boat?
- Who is the mysterious character that the man sees? Where did it come from? Create a new story in which this character appears.
- Imagine that you could interview the characters in the animation. What would you ask them? How might they respond?
- Investigate which materials float and which sink.
- Record your own narration and add this to the movie.
- Create your own model boat and test if it floats.
- Compete with your friends to design (and build) a model boat that will carry the largest amount of cargo.
- Create a painting / collage showing a boat on rough seas.
- Compose a soundtrack for this animation.