A mysterious character, flying in an airship and accompanied by a dragon, flies into the eye of the storm. This music video is dark, gloomy and full of things that will capture children’s attention!
Watch this video with your children, and then try some of our teaching and activity ideas below.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Create a character profile about the pilot. Who is he? Where is he flying to? Where has he been? Why does he appear to be burning his belongings?
- Discuss what might be in the green jar.
- Discuss what is in the special box that the pilot throws away. Why didn’t he keep it? What might happen to the contents next?
- Write a diary entry from the point of view of the pilot.
- Imagine that the pilot speaks at different points in the video. What might he say?
- Write a script for a narrator who describes what happens to the pilot.
- Write some speech for a conversation between the pilot and the dragon.
- Pause the video at various points and think of some complex sentences that describe the scene shown.
- Write a sequel to this story. What happens after he flies into the eye of the storm?
- Explore compass directions and use these to navigate a map like the pilot does in the video.
- Find out how and why things fly. What forces do they need to overcome?
- Look at the logo at the start of the video. Could you create a new logo for this film, using a range of text / font styles?
- Lots of the images in the video are computer generated. Can you try to create similar images using art software? Watch the ‘Making of’ video to find out how this video was created:
- Make a model of the airship that the pilot flies in.
- Make a model of the dragon.
- Pause the video and try to recreate some of the images using different art materials.
- Discuss the music used in the video. What is it about? How well does it match the theme / style of the video?
- Describe the song in terms of musical elements (e.g. tempo, pitch, rhythm).
- Create a map to show the route that the pilot takes in the video. Where does he begin? Where does his journey end?
- Find out about different types of weather. What causes them? How do they affect life for plants, animals and people?
- What is ‘the eye’ of a storm?
- Investigate the history of different flying machines.
- Discuss how the pilot is feeling at different points in the story (e.g. when he is burning the books, when he says goodbye to the dragon when he sets course for the eye of the storm). How do you know?