A couple of pencil-outlined birds escape from a little girl´s drawing, leading us through the life she dreams of.
Watch this video with your children, and then try some of our teaching and activity ideas below.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Rewrite the story in the form of a narrative text or a diary entry.
- Write the story of your own dreams. What would you like to achieve in the future?
- Write a letter to yourself to open in 10 / 20 / 50 years’ time. What would you say?
- Write a letter from your future self. What would you tell yourself?
- Look at how this and other animations have been created. Could you create your own?
- Use a digital camera to take photos that might show scenes from your future. What clothes / props might you need?
- Create some models of your own characters or those from your favourite books.
- Draw a picture that represents your dream. Can someone else look at it and work out what it shows?
- Draw a picture that shows what you think a friend’s dreams might be.
- Look at the use of colour within the animation. When are dark / bright colours used? Why?
- Could you draw two pictures of the same thing using bright and dark shades? Which do you prefer? Why?
- Listen to the music and sound effects in the video without watching it. What do you think is happening? How do you know?
- Listen to other pieces of music by Sigur Ros. Reflect on how they make you feel. Discuss the instruments that you can hear in them.
- Make a timeline showing the events in the girl’s dream. How old might she be at each point?