This game can be played in the summer when you have use of the field and nice dry soft grass. The commands should be carried out as quickly as possible – children who are not quick enough are out.
- FRONT – children lie on their front.
- BACK – children lie on their backs.
- SIT – children sit with legs crossed.
- STAND – children stand up straight.
- ARCH or BRIDGE – children create an arch with hands on the floor and feet on the floor facing down.
- STAR – children do five star jumps, counting out loud as they do each one and returning to the position they were in before the command was given.
- SQUATS – same as the star, but this time doing a squat thrust.
- TURTLE – find a partner and stand back to back (need to be reminded to move away from a partner when the next call is given to prevent clashes). If you are trying to get children eliminated, you can state that they are not to partner with someone they have already had.
- HEDGEHOG (after a few sessions, this changes to road kill – children can be so lovely!) – Children enact squashed hedgehog on the floor.
- 1, 2, 3 and so on – have to get into a group of the number given.