Our printable metaphors resources are available for download below. Here are some ideas suggesting how to use them in the classroom:
- Put them up on display!
- Print the examples of metaphors and ask the children to explain their meanings. Could they draw a picture to represent the metaphor?
- Talk about the metaphors. Have the children heard any of them before? Where did they hear them?
- Let children use the metaphors to make their own ‘Book of Metaphors’ to refer to during independent writing.
- Ask children to find other examples of metaphors.
- Challenge children to find metaphors in different types of text.
Can you suggest another way of teaching children about metaphors by commenting below?