It’s time for bed and Dad is reading Emily and little Elmer a story…
“Danger! Filth and Vacuum, The Terrible Two, are trying to destroy the world!”
Who will save the day?
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- What features of comic strips can you find in the story (e.g. panels, captions, speech / thought bubbles)?
- How many examples of onomatopoeia can you find?
- Think of new captions for some of the panels in the story.
- Choose one of the pages and describe what is happening to a friend. Could you rewrite the story as a narrative?
- Make some new ‘Wanted’ posters for Filth and Vacuum. Can you add more details to describe their crimes?
- Create a set of instructions to help Class Perfect with their studies (e.g. How to be good? How to be nice?).
- Create a story about one of the superheroes that Mayor Troubleshoot calls.
- Create a newspaper article about one (or all) of the events in the story.
- Create a new page for the story, in which a new superhero tries to catch Filth and Vacuum.
- Write the new chapter that Dad starts reading at the end of the story.
- Use software to create your own comic strip and share this with an audience online.
- Can you create a database that includes information about different superheroes (e.g. special powers, location, enemies).
- Could you make a model that recreates a scene from the story?
- Work with a partner / group to create your own comic strip about a superhero.
- Could you turn one of your favourite stories into a comic strip?
- Create the storyboard for a film / animation about one of the superheroes in the story (e.g. Extremely Boring Man, Steel Man).
- Make a new theme song for a movie about one of the superheroes in the story.