The resource below contains one hundred different prompts for stories. Each story starter is on a single card which can be used in a variety of ways:
- Give each child in the class a random card and ask them to continue the story.
- Give the same story starter to every child and then compare the stories that they create.
- Choose a card and model the story that you would write using it.
- Use one of the cards as a prompt for shared / guided writing.
- Use the cards as a homework activity.
- Give children more than one card. Can they include the ideas on all of the cards in their story?
- Challenge your children to make up their own story starters for each other.
- The ideas could also be used as an Art activity. Can children create a picture based on the prompt?