When the aliens crash-land in the jungle, they have no idea that they are about to stumble on the biggest stash of pants ever. Their glee knows no bounds! That is, until the prehistoric owners of the outsized stash turn up…
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- There are a number of books in the ‘Underpants’ series. Could you plan and write your own?
- Make a list of the rhyming words in the book. Could you use these to make your own rhyming dictionary? Could you add your own words to this?
- Write a prequel for this book. Where did the aliens come from? Why did they decide to travel here?
- Retell the story from the point of view of one of the aliens (or from the dinosaurs’ points of view).
- Make a list of words and phrases to describe what the aliens saw when they first arrived on the planet. What words has the author used to describe the environment (e.g. slimy swamps, deep ravines)?
- Think of some speech / thought bubbles to accompany the illustrations.
- Write a diary entry from the point of view of one of the dinosaurs after their arrival on the alien planet.
- Look at the illustrations of pants on the inside front covers. Carry out a survey in your class to find out the most popular pants!
- Investigate materials and discuss why they are used for different types of clothes. Why aren’t pants made of paper? Why are jumpers often made from wool?
- Design a game in which aliens have to steal pants from the dinosaurs.
- Record a video in which you retell the story. Could you add your own text, images and animations?
- Make a stop-motion animation in which some aliens arrive on a new planet.
- Use our Underpants template (available in PNG format below) to design your own pants using illustration software.
- Create a video in which you read the story aloud to your audience. Here is an example:
- Look at this trailer for the book. Could you create your own trailer to promote the story?
- Can you use different materials to create some new pants for an alien?
- Design (and build a model of) a new spaceship to replace the one that crash-landed in the jungle.
- Design a pants-tracking device to help the aliens!
- Design a new pair of pants for the aliens and / or the dinosaurs. A free template is available for download below.
- Imagine that the aliens had a camera with them throughout their adventure. Draw some of the pictures that they might have taken.
- Create a map that shows some of the places mentioned in the story. Could you use this to create a set of directions from one place to another?
- The aliens try to steal the pants when they first see them. What is stealing? What are the consequences for those involved (and their victims)?