Joe befriends a noisy monster under his bed, but the two have so much fun together that he can’t get to sleep…
Watch this video with your children, and then try some of our teaching and activity ideas below.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Write the story of how Moz came to be under the bed.
- Write your own letter to Santa.
- Draw a picture of Joe and Moz on a piece of paper and surround them with adjectives that describe them.
- Stop the film at the opening scene. What clues are there to Joe’s character from the items in the room?
- Write a narration for the advert.
- Read some other books about monsters, for example, Where the Wild Things Are or The Gruffalo. Can you think of any more? Can you see any similarities with the advert?
- Make a storyboard of the advert.
- Write your own version of the story with your own unique monster.
- Write some dialogue between Joe and Moz.
- Imagine you are Joe’s sister. How would you describe the story from her point of view?
- Watch the film from 1:30 – 1:36. Write a list of words to describe what Joe is thinking and how he is feeling.
- Stop the film at 1:05. How does Joe’s dad feel? What might he say to the other dad?
- Write a poem about Joe and Moz.
- When Moz looks at the clock it is 1am (1:14). If Joe normally goes to bed at 8pm, how much later is this than his normal bedtime?
- Joe is very interested in astronomy. Research the constellations that can be seen in the night sky where you are during December.
- How does the star projector work?
- Visit Google Sky and explore the different constellations.
- Joe’s sister’s ear muffs don’t do a very good job of blocking Moz’s snoring! Can you design a better pair, or something else to do the job?
- Design a “No monsters allowed” poster.
- Could you make a model of Moz using a variety of materials?
- Make the advert into a comic.
- Design your own monster. Here are some of our designs:
- The song is called “Golden Slumbers” and is a lullaby. Listen to other lullabies, what about them makes you feel sleepy?
- Joe and his family celebrate with presents under the tree at Christmas time. Discuss other ways in which Christians celebrate Christmas.
- What do you do when you can’t sleep?
- How do you feel when you haven’t had enough sleep?
- The star projector is the perfect gift for Joe. When have you been given (or given) a really thoughtful gift?
- Watch the making of video. Moz is actually played by two people inside the same suit. How do you think it felt to be inside that suit?