A little boat floats from place to place. Where will it go? What will happen to it?
Watch this video with your children, and then try some of our teaching and activity ideas below.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- A little boat floats from place to place. Where will it go? What will happen to it?
- Estimate the length of time that the little boat’s journey took.
- Estimate how long the little boat’s journey was.
- Investigate which materials float and sink. Which would be best to use in the construction of a boat?
- What is the best shape for a boat? Can you plan an experiment that might help you to find out the answer?
- What animals does the little boat encounter on its journey?
- Make an animation about a boat. Where will your boat go? What will happen to it?
- Record some narration to use with the video.
- Can you make a model of the little boat or another type of boat?
- Have a model boat competition. Which of the boats will carry the most cargo? Which of the boats has the best design?
- Can you make a paper boat using origami?
- Retell the story of the little boat in the form of a picture book.
- This video doesn’t have music. Could you compose some for it?
- Make a note of the different types of weather that the little boat encounters. How are these types of weather formed? How do they affect the boat? How do they affect people?
- Make a map that shows the journey of the little boat. What happens in each location?
- Find out about different boats that have been used throughout history. Who used them? Why were they used? What materials were they made from? How were they constructed?