A last-minute letter arrives at the North Pole, so Mrs. Claus helps to deliver a special present to a young boy’s sister.
Watch this video with your children, and then try some of our teaching and activity ideas below.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Write a letter from Jake’s sister Anna, complaining about Jake and the things he does.
- Write a checklist for Santa. Don’t forget Australia!
- There are other presents in the helicopter – write a letter from another child to Mrs Claus.
- Retell the story from the point of view of Mrs Claus.
- Describe the settings in the story – the North Pole, inside the Claus’ house, inside Jake and Anna’s house. The film has lots of important details (for example, Jake has a red helicopter). Make sure that you include some in your setting.
- Pause the film at 1:42, when Mrs Claus looks up at the chimney. What is she thinking?
- Write an acrostic poem about Mrs Claus.
- Imagine you are the Dad. Write a letter about what it is like living with Jake and Anna.
- Describe the incident with the shoe from the point of view of Tiger, the dog.
- Write a letter to Santa or Mrs Claus asking for a present for someone in your family or a friend.
- Write about the incident with the garden hose from the points of view of Jake, Anna and Dad.
- Write a character description of Jake.
- Create a timeline that shows the main events of the film and the approximate times that they took place.
- Calculate the distance from Mrs Claus’ home at the North Pole to Jake’s house in London. How long will it take if the helicopter flies at 100mph? How fast would it need to fly to make the trip in 4 hours? Could it happen?
- Bake some mince pies.
- Find out how helicopters fly.
- Use Google Earth to plot Mrs Claus’ journey.
- Design an amazing wardrobe for Mrs Claus.
- Design a secret cupboard with an ingenious opening mechanism for hiding presents.
- Retell the story in the form of a comic strip.
- Draw a Christmas picture of the family.
- Draw or collage your ideal Christmas tree.
- Listen carefully to the soundtrack. How does the music add to the story?
- Compose your own soundtrack for the advert.
- Make a map of Mrs Claus’ journey from the North Pole to London..
- Mrs Claus has a map (1:07) with lights on. Use an atlas to work out the places that are lit up. Work out a route for Mrs Claus to take to deliver her presents to them all.
- Research Christmas present-giving traditions in different parts of the world.
- Find out about Saint Nicholas. Our free Fact Cards may help.
- Discuss how Christians celebrate Christmas and why it is important to them.
- Investigate Christmas traditions around the world.
- Mrs Claus keeps this a secret from Santa. Why do you think that is?
- Why do you think Anna is sometimes angry?
- Mrs Claus tells Santa to “keep away from the mince pies” but she eats one at Jake’s house. Why does she do that? What do you think she does with the other mince pie? Discuss how sometimes it is difficult to follow good advice.
- Talk about what your family does on Christmas Day. Do you open your presents in your pyjamas like Jake and Anna, for example?