This activity is similar to the Times Table Contest in that it is a fun and motivating activity which provides an opportunity to reinforce the children’s knowledge of their multiplication tables.
1) Decide on one of the multiplication tables to use for the activity (e.g. four times table).
2) Make everyone stand up and arrange them in a certain order. The children should know the order so they are aware of when it is their turn.
3) One child (chosen by the teacher) counts “1”. The child to his left then counts “2”. The next child counts “3”, and so on. When the children reach a multiple of four, they have to say “BUZZ”. So, the next child says “BUZZ”, and the child after him/her continues by counting “5”.
The sequence should therefore go like this: 1… 2… 3… BUZZ… 5… 6… 7… BUZZ… 9… 10… 11… BUZZ… 13… etc.
If anyone forgets to say BUZZ or says BUZZ in the wrong place, they are out, and they must sit down. The counting continues until the children reach ten / twelve times four (at the teacher’s discretion), after which the children start again at one.
The winners are the last three children left standing.
There are a number of variations for this game, which can be tried when the children have mastered the original:
1) Players say “BUZZ” when they reach a multiple of four and a number which contains the digit four….
1, 2, 3, BUZZ, 5, 6, 7, BUZZ, 9, 10, 11, BUZZ, 13, BUZZ, 15, BUZZ, 17, 18… etc.
2) Try playing the game using two multiplication tables. For example, say BUZZ when they reach a multiple of four, and say FIZZ when they reach a multiple of five. If they reach a multiple of four and five, say FIZZBUZZ!
1, 2, 3, BUZZ, FIZZ, 6, 7, BUZZ, 9, FIZZ, 11, BUZZ, 13, 14, FIZZ, BUZZ, 17, 18, 19, FIZZBUZZ!, 21… etc
3) No Hesitations Rule. When the children are confident playing the game, expect an immediate response when it is their turn. If there are any hesitations, Umms or Errs, they are out!