While learning about rainforests, children will come across lots of vocabulary that they might not have seen before. To help pupils to learn these, I’ve made some resources that include twenty-five examples of rainforest words:
- Challenge pupils to use the vocabulary sheet (with blank definitions) and write their own definitions of the rainforest words included. If they can’t think of their own definition, could they use a textbook (or a dictionary) to find a suitable meaning?
- Can your pupils draw a picture that explains the meaning of the word, rather than thinking of a written definition?
- Ask children to find other examples of rainforest vocabulary that are not featured on these resources. Can they write their own definitions of them?
- Use the vocabulary labels on a classroom display about rainforests and ask children to add definitions of them.
- Let children use the vocabulary sheet (with definitions) as a reference tool during their work on this topic.
- Ask pupils to put the vocabulary labels into alphabetical order.
- Challenge children to sort the cards into different groups.