One cold morning, while walking on the beach, Tom finds something strange in a tangle of seaweed. He frees it and carries it back to the lighthouse to show to his grandfather. His grandfather realizes it is an egg, but what sort of egg? They decide to keep it warm and see what happens…
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Tell the story of how the egg ended up on the beach where Tom found it.
- Retell the story in the form of a radio play. Can you think of different sound effects that could enhance your performance?
- Retell the story from Tom’s or his grandfather’s point of view.
- Retell the story from the dinosaur’s point of view.
- Write some instructions to teach people how to look after their own baby dinosaur.
- Write a story in which you have your own pet dinosaur. What adventures might you have together?
- Make a list of advantages / disadvantages for keeping a pet dinosaur.
- Estimate the size of Tom’s dinosaur at different points in the story.
- Make a list of different creatures that lay eggs.
- What type of dinosaur might Tom’s dinosaur be? Can you research the topic and find out about different types of dinosaur?
- At the end of the story, Tom uses a shell to communicate with his dinosaur. How is sound made?
- Use a program like Comic Life to create a comic strip that retells this (or another) story.
- Can you design and make a model of a better raft to transport Tom and his dinosaur across the seas?
- The story is illustrated in the form of a comic strip. Could you retell another story in a similar format? (see Resources below)
- Draw / paint a picture of the two islands mentioned in the story. How are they similar / different?
- Look on a map to find the location of lighthouses near to you. Why are they located there?
- Draw a story map showing the locations mentioned in the book and labelling the things that happened there.
- Find out about different types of dinosaurs and create a fact file about one of them.
- Tom decides to take his dinosaur home. Why must this have been a difficult decision for him? What could he have done instead?