Rex looks like an average 6-year-old, living on his parents’ moog farm and going to mini-galactic citizen school, but he’s going to be King of Space! With the help of unsuspecting friends, Rex creates an army of warbots with dung-blasters and begins his conquest of the known worlds. But when he goes too far, only one person can save him from the wrath of the Galactic Alliance – his tough-talking mum!
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- The King of Space wants the whole universe to know his name. Would you want the whole universe to know your name? Write a story about how you might achieve this.
- Compare your life with Rex’s. How are they similar / different?
- Carry out some role-play activities to explore Rex’s plans. Why does he want to be the King of Space?
- Write Rex’s end-of-year school report.
- Write a news report about the kidnapping of Princess Kooki.
- Write Princess Kooki’s replies to Rex’s letters.
- Write a sequel to this story. What adventures does Rex have next?
- Create a character profile about Rex.
- In the illustrations on the inside covers, the calculators have words on their displays (if you turn the book upside down). Can you make other words on a calculator? Could you create some word problems that give ‘words’ as the answer?
- Find out more about the planets in our solar system. If you could be King (or Queen) of Space, which planet would you live on? Which planets are hospitable?
- Use publishing software to create a ‘wanted’ poster featuring Rex, the new King of Space.
- Create a web page to announce the coronation of the new King of Space.
- Could you create your own video review of this book? Watch this example for inspiration:
- Watch this video showing Jonny Duddle illustrating a cover from the Harry Potter series. Could you create your own character illustrations using a computer?
- Create your own models of Rex’s machines.
- One of Rex’s homework tasks is to build a robot that can do something helpful. Can you try this activity too?
- Design a secret headquarters for Rex.
- Create some illustrations of the students at Rex’s school.
- Compose a song that could be played at Rex’s coronation.
- At one point in the story, the students at the Mini Galactic Citizen School describe what they want to be when they grow up. What would you like to do when you’re older? How could you achieve this?
- Rex’s school friends laugh at him when he describes his plan. How would you feel if your friends laughed at you in this way?