Panda has a tray of doughnuts. Animal after animal tells him the one they want, but it’s only when Lemur says ‘please’ politely that Panda will give any out!
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Write a recipe to teach others how to make doughnuts.
- Write a letter to Mr. Panda asking if he will let you have a doughnut.
- Retell the story from Mr. Panda’s point of view.
- Act out the story and perform it to an audience.
- Could you write a similar story about an animal that rewards somebody else for being polite?
- What is the moral of this story? Can you think of other stories that have morals?
- Write a prequel to this story. Where did Mr. Panda get the doughnuts from (considering that he doesn’t like them)?
- Imagine that you bought this book at an online bookstore. Could you write a review of it for the shop?
- Could you record your own retelling of this story? Watch this example:
- Conduct a survey to find out the favourite doughnut flavours of your friends. Use this information to create a tally chart or a bar graph.
- Find out the sizes of the animals in the story. Which is tallest / smallest? Can you make a graph to compare their sizes?
- Find out about pandas. Where do they live? What do they eat? Could you write a report about them?
- Plan a healthy set of balanced meals for a day. Will doughnuts be included in your meal plan?
- Use publishing software to create a poster that advertises Mr. Panda’s delicious doughnuts.
- Use animation software to make an animated version of the story. Look at these examples for inspiration:
- Can you cook some healthy treats of your own?
- Look at the pictures of the doughnuts on the inside front cover. Can you make repeating patterns using different coloured circles?
- Create your own illustrations of Mr. Panda.
- Make a list of the animals in the story. Can you find out where they live in the wild? Can you plot their locations on a map?
- Why does Mr. Panda give the doughnuts to the lemur (and not to the other animals)?
- What does it mean to be polite? Why is it important to be polite to others?
- Can you make a list of ways that people can be polite to each other?