Join Class Two as they wander around the zoo. They see all sorts of animal antics, but they don’t notice the anaconda slipping up behind that’s determined to make a meal of them. But Class Two are a resourceful bunch and come up with a rescue plan.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Make a list of all the rhyming words in the book.
- Look for examples of alliteration, e.g. ‘koala kissing a kangaroo’. Can you make up your own alliterative sentences featuring animals, e.g. ‘dogs dancing daintily with deer?
- Rewrite the story from the anaconda’s point of view.
- Find all of the adjectives / verbs / adverbs in the story.
- Could you make a new page for the start of the book using a similar format, i.e. the children saw… but they didn’t see…
- Find all of the words used to describe how the anaconda eats the children, e.g. gulp down, make a meal of…
- Can you sort the animals into different groups using Venn / Carroll diagrams?
- Make a list of the different types of animals featured in the book
- Could you make a sign for one of the animal’s enclosures to teach visitors about them?
- Use publishing software to make the leaflet about the zoo that Class Two’s teacher is reading.
- Make a sign to warn people about the dangerous anaconda.
- Listen to this recording of part of the story. Could you record your own version using expression, sound effects and music?
- Design a natural (but secure) enclosure for the anaconda to live in so that it doesn’t escape again.
- Can you draw / paint a picture of an anaconda?
- Look at the different patterns / textures used in the illustrations of the animals. Could you use different art materials to recreate some of these?
- The author’s website has some illustrations from the book to colour.
- Could you compose a tune that could accompany the rhyming words in the story?
- Can you find the location of your nearest zoo? Could you plan a trip there? What route would you need to take?
- Could you make a map for a new zoo? What animals would you include? What facilities would visitors need? How would they get around the zoo?