Paddington discovers a special visitor on the roof of his house on Christmas Eve and teaches him a valuable lesson.
Watch this video with your children, and then try some of our teaching and activity ideas below.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Retell the story from Paddington’s point of view.
- Retell the story from the point of view of ‘Santa’.
- Role-play an interview between Paddington and the journalists at the end of the advert.
- Role-play an interview with ‘Santa’ from this video and ask him about what happened.
- Think of some questions that you would like to ask Paddington in an interview. How might he respond?
- Write a newspaper article about the sighting of Santa and a small bear!
- Could you write your own story with the title “_____________ and the Christmas Visitor”?
- Plan and write a new Christmas story that includes Paddington.
- This story is also available as a book. Which do you prefer?
- Plan your own Christmas advert that features a popular storybook character.
- Write an explanation of how Santa’s sleigh got on the roof.
- Write the story of what would have happened if Paddington hadn’t met ‘Santa’.
- Write an email from the boy who filmed Paddington and ‘Santa’, describing what he saw.
- Pause the video at different points and write a description of the setting (e.g. 0:00, 0:03, 0:23, 0:37, 1:16)
- Take screenshots of different points in the video and write captions and speech / thought bubbles to accompany each image.
- Write a playscript that retells this story (or part of it).
- Plan and write your own Christmas advert for next year.
- Set up a present-wrapping activity. What is the smallest amount of paper you need to cover a box?
- Research the prices of Paddington-themed gifts to make up your own word problems and Maths challenges.
- If Santa visited all of the houses of the children in your class on Christmas Eve, how far would he travel? Could you calculate the measurement using a map or online tool?
- Create a game in which Paddington has to deliver Christmas presents to different houses.
- Use publishing software to create a ‘Wanted’ poster for the Christmas present burglar.
- Record the rest of the TV news report explaining what was seen in the video.
- Create a model of Santa’s sleigh.
- Design (and make) a Christmas outfit for Paddington to wear.
- Design a pop-up book (or a single pop-up page) that tells this story.
- Create a storyboard that retells the main events of this story.
- Make a picture of snowy rooftops like the ones in the story.
- Make a story map that shows the main events of the story and where they took place.
- To celebrate the release of Paddington 2, a ‘Pop Up Book’ trail appeared around London. Can you plot the location of some of these on a map?
- What lesson does ‘Santa’ learn in this story? How does his character change?