A man finds a rope hanging from the sky. What would you do if you made the same discovery?
Watch this video with your children, and then try some of our teaching and activity ideas below.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Make a list of ideas to explain where the rope came from. Who does it belong to? Why have they left it there?
- Retell the story from the man’s point of view.
- Write a sequel, in which the man tries to fix the broken rope.
- Imagine that a rope has appeared in your own classroom / bedroom. What happens when you pull it?
- Think of some questions that you would like to ask the man about what happened. How might he respond?
- Write a newspaper article about the appearance of an unusual rope that hangs from the sky.
- Make a list of words to describe how the rope moves when the man touches it.
- Pause the video at different points and describe what the man might be thinking / feeling.
- If you discovered the rope, what would you do? Can you think of some arguments for / against pulling it (when you don’t know what it does)?
- Estimate how long the rope might be.
- The world goes dark when the man pulls the rope. Is this possible? Can you explain your reasons using your scientific knowledge?
- Carry out a science investigation to test the strength of different materials when objects are hung from them.
- The film doesn’t have a soundtrack. Can you compose one