A fascinating short film that shows a book being printed using traditional methods.
Watch this video with your children and then try some of our teaching and activity ideas below.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Imagine that you could choose a book to be bound in this way. Which book would you choose and why?
- Write and produce a class book.
- Write an explanation of how the book was made.
- Try this paper folding investigation.
- Make a list of all the different ways that text is presented today (e.g. in magazines, on posters, on phones etc.) Discuss what is the same and different in each instance.
- Research how printers work. What are the different types? Do they work in the same way as each other?
- Try one of these ways of binding your own book.
- Explore different techniques for printing.
- Compare a bound book to a modern paperback? What’s the same, what’s different?
- Design a new cover for a favourite book.
- Try out some origami ideas.
- Write a new soundtrack for the film. What instruments would you use?
- Create a timeline showing the history of printing. This site is really useful.
- Watch out for all the different jobs people are doing in the film. How does each person contribute to the finished book? How do you think they organise themselves?