In a busy life, Copi is a father who tries to teach the right way to his son, Paste. But… what is the correct path?
Watch this video with your children, and then try some of our teaching and activity ideas below.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- What does ‘Alike’ mean? Can you think of different synonyms?
- Can you use the title ‘Alike’ for your own story?
- This ‘Making of…’ video explains how this story came to be created. Is there an event in your life that you could use as the inspiration for a new story?
- Could you turn this story into a narrative text?
- Retell the story from the point of view of Copi (the father) or Paste (the son). How might their versions of the story differ?
- How are the two characters similar / different? What words and phrases would you use to describe them? Why? How do they change as the story develops?
- If you could ask Copi and Paste some questions, what would you ask? How might they respond?
- Pause the video at different points and imagine what the characters are thinking / feeling. How do you know?
- Does this story have a moral or a message for the audience? What might it be? Can you think of other stories with a moral?
- Write the report that Paste’s teacher might give to him at the end of the school year.
- What does it mean when people say that they are ‘feeling blue’? Can you think of other idioms?
- Make a timetable that shows what Copi and Paste do at different times of the day.
- Look in the credits of this animation. How many people are involved? What is the role of each person?
- Watch these videos that show different stages in the animation process. How many stages are involved? What happens at each stage? Why are the stages important?
- This video also shows how 2D animation is used to create a 3D short film. Could you create 3D models of your own 2D illustrations (or make new models based on popular 2D animated characters)?
- Use publishing software to design some posters to promote the movie. Use some of the images on the official site as inspiration for your designs.
- Can you design a website to promote the film?
- Plan a series of social media posts to promote the film to different audiences.
- Can you create your own models of Copi, Paste and some of the background characters?
- Look at the use of colour throughout the story. Which characters and settings are colourful, and which are bland? Why is this? How do the colours of the characters change in the animation (and why is this)? Could you use this technique in your own illustrations and paintings?
- Pause the video at 03:29. Can you create a similar image that shows two different places at the same time of day?
- How does the soundtrack change at different points in the story? Why does it do this? How would you describe it?
- This video shows the recording of the soundtrack. What instruments can you see / hear? What are the different roles of the people shown?
- How would you describe the relationship between Copi and Paste? How does this change throughout the story? How have your relationships with friends changed throughout your life so far?
- The musician excites and inspires the young boy. What inspires you?