Handwashing with soap is among the most effective and inexpensive ways to prevent diarrhoeal diseases and pneumonia. Global Handwashing Day is the centrepiece of a week of activities that aim to mobilise millions of people to wash their hands with soap. This simple activity could save more lives than any vaccine or medical intervention, preventing the spread of infection and keeping children in school.
Here are some suggested teaching ideas:
- Find out why it is important to wash our hands regularly.
- Make a set of instructions to teach people how to wash their hands thoroughly.
- Use Art / Computing materials to make posters encouraging people to wash their hands.
- Display the ‘Have you washed your hands?’ poster (available below) around your classroom.
- Watch this video and discuss some of the issues that it raises:
Download our free poster below. Cathy Abraham has kindly contributed a Handwashing Curriculum document containing more ideas.