I use this as a warm-up activity for PE lessons, especially in dance to get children thinking about the rhythm and beat of the music. It’s based on the ‘bop it’ game bought in shops.
You need a CD or tape with a beat on, and you call out the actions to which the children respond in the following ways:
- Kick it – children kick in front of them (ensure they’re all in a space first!)
- Twist it – twist their bodies halfway around then back, feet remaining in the same place on the floor.
- Spin it – children turn around
- Pull it – imagine they are pulling two levers down from above their heads.
- Bop it – jump in the air.
They must try to do all these actions to the beat of the music. I’ve used it with Y2 and 3, and they loved it!