The Crowther Family
1. The teacher or a student looks through a dictionary for a difficult word. Check that no one else in the class knows the word’s meaning.
2. Write the word on the whiteboard.
3. Each student writes their guess concerning the word’s meaning on a slip of paper.
4. Each student’s guess must be anonymous.
5. The slips of paper are handed to the teacher/leader, who reads out the anonymous ‘definitions’.
6. The person whose guess is most similar to the dictionary definition wins.
This game can be quite hilarious and can also be used at parties. The winner can also be the person who writes the funniest definition.
Karen S says…
I give points for anyone who gets the right meaning, but I also read out the meanings (including the dictionary one) get the class to guess which is the correct meaning. Groups get a point for each person who votes for their meaning.