Do your children struggle to remember and understand the different types of nouns? Here are some free downloadable resources, with suggested ways of using them:
- Print the ‘Types of Nouns’ poster and add it to a class display.
- Laminate the poster and have it available on children’s tables to refer to during their writing activities.
- Use the ‘Sort the Nouns’ activity sheet to get children to sort nouns into their different groups. Challenge them to think of at least five more nouns to add to each section if they finish.
- Use the ‘Types of Nouns Labels’ and ‘Noun Labels’ as part of an interactive display. Could your children sort the noun labels into the correct categories on your display? These could also be used as a class / group activity at children’s tables.
- Make your own dictionary showing different types of nouns. Use the noun suggestions provided here and ask children to think of their own examples too.
- Look at the proper nouns. What clue tells us that they might be a proper noun if we are not sure.
- Look at the collective nouns. Can any of those words be used as common nouns (or other types of words)?