Mr and Mrs Twit are extremely nasty, so the Muggle-Wump monkeys and the Roly-Poly bird hatch an ingenious plan to give them just the ghastly surprise they deserve! This edition has a great new Quentin Blake cover as well as a whole new exciting end section about Roald Dahl and his world.
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Mr. Twit is 60 years old. Write about some of the disgusting things that he has done throughout his life.
- Make a list of words to describe Mr. and Mrs. Twit.
- Write about a new practical joke that Mr. and Mrs. Twit play on each other.
- Think of some vocabulary which might describe what a plate of worms tastes like!
- Mr. Twit keeps monkeys in a cage… Share the children’s opinions about keeping animals in cages in the circus or in zoos etc. What are the arguments for and against these different places?
- The Roly Poly Bird sings a warning song to stop birds from landing on the sticky tree. Look at the song and find the rhyming words. Can you think of other words that rhyme with those?
- Some of the modern versions of Roald Dahl’s books include information about his life. Could you use this to write a biography to help others to learn about him?
- Listen to the audiobook version of the story. Could you retell the story using accents and expressions like this?
- Think about Mrs. Twit’s walking stick. How long might it be? Mr. Twit added tiny pieces each night. How big must they have been? Would he have measured them in mm, cm, m or km?
- Use the Twits as a starting point for learning about health and hygiene.
- What might happen to the old bits of food that get stuck in Mr. Twit’s beard? Use this to learn about microorganisms and bacteria!
- A frog has a lovely time jumping over Mrs. Twit’s bed, but what is a frog’s natural habitat?
- Mrs. Twit goes ‘ballooning up’ and flies into the sky. Try to find out what makes her go up… and what makes her come down again? Could you set up a model which shows this process?
- Draw a picture of the most disgusting man and lady in the world.
- Draw a picture of the most handsome man and beautiful lady in the world.
- Mr. Twit puts a frog in Mrs. Twit’s bed and says that it is a Giant Skillywiggler… Draw what a Skillywiggler might look like.
- Draw a picture of Mr. and Mrs. Twit’s new upside-down house (see Resources below).