Flinn is at school looking in the art cupboard for some coloured pens to finish off his dinosaur drawing when he stumbles upon Captain Stubble, a real live Pirate Captain! He tells Flinn that his ship, the Acorn, has been stolen and that he needs Flinn to help him rescue it back. Stubble makes Flinn the captain and they sail away on an old pirate ship…
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Write about a new adventure that Flinn might have while exploring the art cupboard in his school.
- Can you find any examples of onomatopoeia in the story?
- Can you find any similes in the story?
- Write a story about an adventure that you might have with a real live pirate captain!
- Find words that the author has used instead of ‘said’, e.g. sobbed, cried, stammered.
- Make a list of the different ways that the author has described the pirate dinosaurs.
- There are a number of books featuring Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs. Could you write a new story about them?
- The swordfight between Flinn and the Tyrannosaurus Rex lasts for two hours and twenty-five minutes. Can you use this information to make up some word problems?
- The pirate ships float on the sea. Why do things float? Could you plan an investigation to find out what materials float the best?
- Find out about the different types of dinosaurs mentioned in the story. Could you write a report about each one?
- One of the illustrations shows a cross-section of the pirate ship. Can you draw your own cross-section of a vehicle / machine?
- Design a new pirate T-shirt for Flinn to wear.
- Colour in some dinosaur pictures, like Flinn does in the story (see Resources below).
- Make a list of the different types of art materials that might be in the art cupboard at Flinn’s school.
- Design some pirate costumes for the children to wear on their adventure.
- Design a flag for the pirate dinosaurs to fly on their ship.
- Draw a picture of another pirate dinosaur.
- Compose a tune to accompany the pirate dinosaurs’ song.
- Draw a map that shows the route that the pirates took… or a map showing treasure for the pirate dinosaurs to find.