Hopeville is a fictional town depicted on the maps available below. Teachers can use these to help children to learn about and read the information displayed on maps:
- Show the PDF of the map to the class using a projector and talk about the information shown (place names / road names / compass / symbols / key).
- Challenge children to answer the questions about Hopeville included on the activity sheet.
- Ask pupils to come up with their own questions about the places shown on the map.
- Look at a variety of maps (at different scales) and discuss the information that they show.
- Get pupils to make their own maps of real and fictional places.