Adjective, Noun, Verb, Adverb
This activity develops the children's understanding of the different types of words, and can also be used to teach the children about alliteration. It will also provide an opportunity for them to use a thesaurus.
1) Give each child a copy of the worksheet found below.
2) Remind the children of the meanings of the terms Adjective, Noun, Verb and Adverb.
3) Tell the children that you want them to write an adjective in the first box in each row. To the right of that, write a noun, then write a verb, and finally write an adverb in the box on the right of the row. This will produce a sentence, although it may seem silly or strange.
4) When the children are comfortable with the idea, ask them to try and use alliteration in some of their sentences, i.e. choose words which begin with the same consonant for each row. They might want to use a thesaurus to help them to search for suitable words
5) Share each other's sentences, and make a collection of the class' favourites.