- Note Value Chants - An active way of learning about the value of musical notes.
- Music and Maths - Teach your children about Music and Maths at the same time! A very interesting activity to teach about note values, while reviewing addition.
- Fossil Feet Notation - Challenge children to put the notes for the song in the right place (high notes, middle notes or low notes). Originally based on the Fossil Feet song from Music Express 2, but could be used with any three note song. Contributed by Agnes Clark.
- Identifying Notes (Grade 1) - A useful activity sheet which introduces children to different kinds of notation. Contributed by Fredda Rosenbaum.
- Identifying Notes (Grade 2) - This sheet encourages children to think about different musical notes. Contributed by Fredda Rosenbaum.
- Identifying Notes (Grades 3-5) - More activities to help children to remember musical notation. Contributed by Fredda Rosenbaum.
- Identifying Notes (Kindergarten) - Can your children match the correct notes to their corresponding values? Contributed by Fredda Rosenbaum.
- Treble Staff - This Excel spreadsheet helps children to remember the notes on a scale. Contributed by Fredda Rosenbaum.
- Treble Lines / Spaces quiz - Activities to reinforce knowledge and understanding of the musical notes. Contributed by Fredda Rosenbaum.
- Notation Wordsearch - Another wordsearch which children can use to find musical vocabulary. Contributed by Fredda Rosenbaum.
- Name that Note - Play this fantastic game to learn the notes on a musical stave. How many points will you score?
- Graphic Notation - A number of ways of writing music without learning about crochets and quavers.
- Name Beats - Use the children's names to create music!
- Photo Soundtracks - Use your school environment as a stimulus for composition.
- Composing Movie Soundtracks with Garageband - A range of activities which focus on the soundtracks of movies and games.
- Notes on a Keyboard - Help children to learn the notes of the keyboard more quickly with these techniques.
- Composing with Quotes - Use quotes as a starting point for musical compositions.
- Rondo Improvisation - Get your students to plan, rehearse and perform their own rondo.
Composition Banner (PDF)
Musical Notation Banner (PDF)
Treble and Bass Clef Resources