This picture shows the first five lines of Pascals triangle. Can you work out how it is made?
Each number is the total of the two numbers above it. Work out the next five lines of Pascals triangle and write them below.
Look at your diagram. What patterns can you see?
- Look at the odd numbers. How are they arranged in the triangle?
- Now, look at the even numbers. How are they arranged in the triangle?
- Look at the diagonal lines on the triangle. What patterns do you notice?
- Is there a way of predicting the next line of the triangle, without having to work out each number by adding the
two numbers above it?
- Investigate the totals of the numbers in each horizontal row. Is there a pattern? Can you predict the next total?
Created by Mark Warner - - www.teachingideas.co.uk