Place Value Clap
Age Range: 5 to 11
Here's a game which I call Place Value Clap.
- I write a 4 digit number on the board and choose four children.
- They decide between themselves who is to clap thousands, who will clap hundreds, tens and units.
- Lining up in the correct place, they clap their digit or fold their arms smugly for a zero.
- The 'thousands' person then has to say the whole number correctly.
- They then swap until all four children have had a chance to be each digit.
- The most confident children always manage to get the highest digit giving the less confident 1, 2 or 3 chances to hear the number correctly. A useful starter/filler.
This game can easily be differentiated for larger / smaller numbers simply by changing the number of children involved.
Comments powered by Disqus