The Queen's Knickers
It's a busy year for the Queen - she has lots of important events to attend. Meanwhile, a little girl is wondering what knickers Her Majesty will choose to wear on a school visit!
Will they be her 'at home' knickers - adorned with corgis - or her 'garden party' knickers, or perhaps her woolly Balmoral ones...?
Book Author: Nicholas Allan
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- The Queen's wardrobe is 'enormous'. Can you think of other words to describe what her wardrobe might be like?
- Write a story about a day in the life of Dilys (who looks after the Queen's knickers).
- Write the script for the news report about the Queen's missing knickers.
- Role play an interview with the police about the missing knickers. What are they doing to find them? Do they have any clues?
- Carry out a hot seating activity with the family who went on a picnic to find that they had a trunk full of knickers instead of a picnic hamper!
- Imagine that the Queen visited your school. What would you say to her?
- Make an invitation to ask the Queen to attend an important event in your local area.
- The Queen has a pair of knickers with a parachute inside them, as well as a pair that float. Can you explain how these might work using scientific vocabulary?
- Use painting software to decorate a pair of knickers for the Queen(see Resources below).
- Design a pair of knickers (or other types of clothing) for another famous person.
- Use craft materials to make a pair of knickers (or other types of clothing!) for the Queen to wear.
- Think about the materials that different types of clothing are made from. Why did the manufacturer decide to use those materials? How are the different parts joined together?
- Design a new pair of knickers for the Queen to wear on different occasions. What might her VIP (Very Important Pair) look like? (see Resources below).
- Design some new Smart clothes for the Queen to wear to an important occasion.
- Look at a photo of the Queen and draw your own portrait of her.
- Design some special stamps to celebrate a Royal occasion(see Resources below).
- When the trunk of knickers go missing, the pictures in the portraits all look shocked. Can you try to recreate some famous portraits but change their facial expressions?
- Look at examples of clothing that Royal Families have worn throughout History.