Paddington Bear first met the Brown family at a railway station - Paddington station, in fact.
He had travelled all the way from Darkest Peru with only a jar of marmalade, a suitcase and a label reading 'Please look after this bear'. Without further ado, Mr and Mrs Brown promptly welcomed the adventurous bear into their family, and in honour of their meeting place they named him Paddington.
The Browns soon discover that Paddington is a most unusual bear. Ordinary things - like having a bath - become quite extraordinary when a bear called Paddington is around.
Book Author: Michael Bond
Teaching Ideas and Resources:
- Watch the animated version of Paddington. Which do you prefer? Why?
- Read the story and turn it into a playscript. Could you perform your play to an audience?
- Rewrite the story in the form of a diary entry from Paddington's point of view.
- Can you write a new story about a stowaway?
- Write a new version of the story in which Mr. and Mrs. Brown didn't see Paddington. Who might have found him instead?
- Paddington says that things are always happening to him. Can you write about an exciting adventure that he might have had?
- Write a guide to help people explaining how to look after Paddington.
- Plan a healthy meal for Paddington to eat after his long journey. When Paddington has a bath, there is steam on the bathroom mirror. Where does steam come from? What is it?
- Watch the original animated series. Could you make your own Paddington animation?
- Use a drawing program to make your own picture of Paddington.
- Design some new clothes for Paddington to wear.
- Use the label template to make a new label for Paddington. What information could it tell people about him? (see Resources below)
- Could you compose a new tune for an animated version of the book? Listen to the original theme tune for inspiration.
- Can you find Paddington station on a map? How far is it from where you live?
- Are there any other place names that would make a good name for a bear or another animal?
- Can you find Peru on a map? Could you plot Paddington's journey from Peru to where he was found by the Brown family?
- Can you find out about the history of Teddy Bears? Could you write a report to teach other people about them?