Welcome to the Web
Age Range: 7 to 11
"Welcome to the Web" is an interactive set of web pages which can be used to teach children (and adults) about the Internet. They can be used in the classroom / computer room and children are welcome to explore them as they wish (although they have been designed to use in sequence).
The resources are in split into seven sections:
- The Beginning - explains how to use the site.
- Getting Started Online - teaches children about the basic concepts involved in the Internet (World Wide Web, Hyperlinks, Back button etc). This introductory lesson also gives valuable practice in visiting and navigating around web sites.
- Staying Safe - encourages pupils to keep themselves safe online by following the SMART rules. Also tests their understanding usign interactive activities and fun quizzes.
- Using Your Browser - helps people to learn more about their web browsers... what are the different features and how are they used?
- Searching Online - teaches children how to search effectively, and keep themselves safe when doing so. Also identifies search engines which are particularly suitable for children to use.
- Trying Top Tricks - finding information on the net is great, but it is also important to know how that information can be used. This section explains about printing, using the Find tool to locate specific information within web pages, copying and pasting text, and saving images from the web. Also includes information about copyright and why it is important to credit others when you use their work.
- The Welcome to the Web Challenge - When the children have completed all of the sections of Welcome to the Web, they can complete this exciting challenge. It requires them to use all of the skills which they have learnt to catch the creator of a destructive computer virus!
When visitors complete the challenge, they are able to print a personalised certificate to show their competence in using the Internet.
Each section (except the Challenge) has worksheets which, although not compulsory, can be used to direct children's attention to important parts of the resources and to test their knowledge. The worksheets can be downloaded when you start each section. Teachers can download the entire set of worksheets here .
Chris Thomas has also created an additional worksheet which children can use when working through Section 2 of the site. Download it here .
The answers are not included with the worksheets. It would be advisable that any teachers wishing to use the resources with children, use them before the lesson (and thus work out the answers for themselves beforehand!).
The Welcome to the Web resources can be found at the following address:
The Welcome to the Web resources have taken a very long time to create. I would love to hear your comments about them, and if you have used them in school at all. Did the children enjoy them? What did they learn?
Comments can be sent to email@example.com (Many Thanks)
Comments powered by Disqus