Age Range: 7 to 11
This activity involves the class writing a story together (with contributions from every child), and it also gives the children the opportunity to use a word processor.
1) To begin, the teacher should write a short introduction to a story and type this onto the computer. An example is given below, and you could also use some of the story starters found on the Magic Pen Story Starters page. It is also a good ideas to have a class list next to the computer so that the children can mark their name off when they have had their turn.
2) At the beginning of the day, read the story introduction and explain the activity (this will probably last throughout the day).
3) When it is each child's turn, they should read the story that has been written on the computer so far, and think of one or two more sentences to continue the story. When they have done this, they should notify the next person on the list who will write a few more sentences.
4) The last few children on the list should make sure that they bring the story to an end.
5) At the end of the day, read through the whole story and ask the children what they thought of it.
To begin with, the children's stories may not flow particularly well. However, with practice and guidance, they should be able to read through what other children have written and take this into account when writing their own parts.
(written for use in Britain but you can edit it if you wish)
"This is Bob Lane reporting for ITN with an important announcement. Over the past 24 hours, an enormous lizard has been attacking New York. The lizard, who has been named Godzilla finished its rampage at around 7 pm last night. It has now begun swimming across the Atlantic Ocean and it is heading for Great Britain. The Prime Minister will be making a statement at around 5 o'clock this evening. He is expected to advise everyone to gather together their belongings and leave the country as soon as possible. The army has been alerted and they are prepared to implement a full attack on the creature"
Meanwhile, Godzilla arrives at the Western coast of Ireland...
Comments powered by Disqus