When ing is added to a verb ending in e, the e is dropped, e.g. ride - Roger is riding his pony.
When ing is added to some verbs the last letter is doubled. These words have a short vowel sound and a consonant. The consonant is doubled before adding ing. e.g. put - He is putting his toys away.
Other verbs have no change and ing is added to the end.
Fill in the gaps using the verb shown (remembering to use the correct ending).
1) Andy kept _________ on the ice. (slip)
2) The boy is _________ under the tree. (sleep)
3) John passed his _______ test first time. (drive)
4) The man is ________ his car. (wash)
5) People were ________ on the pond. (skate)
6) Ben was _________ in the bushes. (hide)
7) Carol was ________ a sweater. (knit)
8) The girl is ________ an apple. (eat)
9) Roy went out without ________ the door. (shut)
10) Pam is _________ to us across the road. (wave)
Contributed by Michele Papageorghiou - - www.teachingideas.co.uk